Teacher Leadership and Compensation System
On this page...
TLC Administrator Support System
The Iowa Department of Education announces the State-wide plan to support building principals who lead Teacher Leadership and Compensation System; The TLC Administrator Support Program.
Audience: This plan is offered to TLC schools who implemented in school year 2014-15 and who will implement in 2015-16.
Overall Purpose: This program is designed equip and support principals to form a cohesive building leadership team that is aligned to a singular mission as embraced by the district, and is able to develop and lead a collaborative process to strengthen instructional practice that leverages teacher leaders for school-wide improvement of student learning.
TLC Administrator Support Program Description: The TLC Administrator Support Program will be a comprehensive, year-long professional development program focusing on building the capacity of the principal to develop and facilitate distributed leadership in their school, namely by supporting and leveraging teacher leaders as part of the leadership team. The program will include a three day summer intensive for principals and members of the district leadership, on-going workshops during the school year for the principal and the building TLC team, and one-on-one school-based coaching provided on a monthly basis.
Participation: The 2015-16 school year is a pilot year for this program. The program is designed to build capacity across the state for continued support and participation. There are limited numbers of openings in the program for 2015-16. In order to support the most number of school buildings, two systems of delivery have been planned. One system will be state supported with leader-coaches providing delivery within each AEA region. The other opportunity will be for districts to build their capacity by identifying and having their own leader-coaches trained to support their building administrators. A selection process for school and district participation has been identified.
Supporting Documents: Please refer to this area for support documents and application documents.
TLC Administration Support System Webinar - This webinar explains the program and the process to apply for participation.
The Teacher Leadership and Compensation (TLC) System rewards effective teachers with leadership opportunities and higher pay, attracts promising new teachers with competitive starting salaries and more support, and fosters greater collaboration for all teachers to learn from each other.
The overriding philosophy of the system is multi-pronged, but boils down to this: Improving student learning requires improving the instruction they receive each day. There is no better way to do this than to empower our best teachers to lead the effort.
Through the system, teacher leaders take on extra responsibilities, including helping colleagues analyze data and fine tune instructional strategies as well as coaching and co-teaching.
Bipartisan legislation created a four-year process to fully develop the statewide Teacher Leadership and Compensation System, with the goal of all school districts voluntarily participating by the 2016-17 school year.
The goals of the Teacher Leadership and Compensation System are:
- Attract able and promising new teachers by offering competitive starting salaries and offering short-term and long-term professional development and leadership opportunities.
- Retain effective teachers by providing enhanced career opportunities.
- Promote collaboration by developing and supporting opportunities for teachers in schools and school districts statewide to learn from each other.
- Reward professional growth and effective teaching by providing pathways for career opportunities that come with increased leadership responsibilities and involve increased compensation.
- Improve student achievement by strengthening instruction.
All 346 Iowa school districts applied for planning grants to support the local development of Teacher Leadership and Compensation plans. The deadline to submit an application to enter the system in the 2014-15 school year was January 31. The Department received 139 applications representing 146 school districts. The applications were reviewed and scored by the twenty members of the Commission on Educator Leadership and Compensation, which was created to oversee the implementation of the Teacher Leadership and Compensation System.
The Iowa General Assembly approved $50 million for the first year of implementation. In each subsequent year through 2016-17, another $50 million will be added to the system for a total of $150 million per year, enabling all districts to participate in the program if they choose. On March 3rd, the Department announced the selection of 39 school districts from around the state to participate in the first year of the system. The Department will support both school districts selected to participate in the first cohort as well as those planning for the second round of TLC applications.
TLC System Application FAQs (2014-10-28)
TLC System Implementation FAQs (2014-10-28)
TLC System – Framework for Learning Supports (2014-08-01)
TLC System – Launching Teacher Leadership (2014-04-18)
Supporting Teacher Leadership Programs (Iowa AEAs) (2014-04-04)
The TLC Online Community (Agora) brings teacher leaders and administrators from across the state together to collaborate about school improvement and the teacher leadership compensation system. Navigate the community as a guest or enroll in the community to sign up for notifications and participate in activities.
|Keystone AEA 1||Pat Heiderscheit||PHeiderscheit@aea1.k12.ia.us||563-245-1480|
|AEA 267||Kathy Enslinemail@example.com||319-273-8200|
|Prairie Lakes AEA 8||Jaymie Randelfirstname.lastname@example.org||515-325-6085|
|Mississippi Bend AEA 9||Tom Micekemail@example.com||563-359-1371|
|Grant Wood AEA 10||Jim Pedersenfirstname.lastname@example.org||319-399-6700|
|Heartland AEA 11||Kevin Fangmanemail@example.com||515-270-9030|
|Northwest AEA||Jon Wibbelsfirstname.lastname@example.org||712-222-6000|
|Green Hills AEA||Jan Norgaardemail@example.com||712-755-3896|
|Great Prairie AEA||Anne Morganfirstname.lastname@example.org||641-682-8591|
TLC Application Instructions - IowaGrants.gov (2014-09-03)
TLC Plan Application (2014-06-19)
TLC Plan Application Scoring Rubric (2014-06-19)
Year Two Application/Rubric Updates (2014-06-23)
2015-2016 TLC Budget Estimate (2014-08-21)
TLC Year 2 Selection Process and Results
- Commission on Educator Leadership and Compensation Members 2014-2015
- 2014-02-28 Letter to Superintendents on TLC Process - Year 2
- TLC Application Scores by School District - Year 2 (2015-01-06)
- TLC Accepted School Districts by Year (2015-05-12)
- Map of TLC Accepted School Districts by Year (2015-05-12)
- TLC Year 2 and 3 - Approved Applications and Scores by Parts
- TLC Exemplars Less than 1000
- TLC Exemplars More than 1000
TLC Year 1 Selection Process and Results
- Commission on Educator Leadership and Compensation Members 2013-2014
- 2014-02-28 Letter to Superintendents on TLC Process
- TLC Application Scores by School District
- Number of TLC Applications by AEA/School District Size
- TLC Executive Summaries - Approved School Districts
- TLC Year 1 - Approved Applications and Scores by Parts
- TLC Exemplars (Schools with Fewer Than 1000 Students)
- TLC Exemplars (Schools with More Than 1000 Students)