Teacher Leadership and Compensation System
On this page...
The Teacher Leadership and Compensation (TLC) System rewards effective teachers with leadership opportunities and higher pay, attracts promising new teachers with competitive starting salaries and more support, and fosters greater collaboration for all teachers to learn from each other.
The overriding philosophy of the system is multi-pronged, but boils down to this: Improving student learning requires improving the instruction they receive each day. There is no better way to do this than to empower our best teachers to lead the effort.
Through the system, teacher leaders take on extra responsibilities, including helping colleagues analyze data and fine tune instructional strategies as well as coaching and co-teaching.
Bipartisan legislation created a four-year process to fully develop the statewide Teacher Leadership and Compensation System, with the goal of all school districts voluntarily participating by the 2016-17 school year.
The goals of the Teacher Leadership and Compensation System are:
- Attract able and promising new teachers by offering competitive starting salaries and offering short-term and long-term professional development and leadership opportunities.
- Retain effective teachers by providing enhanced career opportunities.
- Promote collaboration by developing and supporting opportunities for teachers in schools and school districts statewide to learn from each other.
- Reward professional growth and effective teaching by providing pathways for career opportunities that come with increased leadership responsibilities and involve increased compensation.
- Improve student achievement by strengthening instruction.
All 346 Iowa school districts applied for planning grants to support the local development of Teacher Leadership and Compensation plans. The deadline to submit an application to enter the system in the 2014-15 school year was January 31. The Department received 139 applications representing 146 school districts. The applications were reviewed and scored by the twenty members of the Commission on Educator Leadership and Compensation, which was created to oversee the implementation of the Teacher Leadership and Compensation System.
The Iowa General Assembly approved $50 million for the first year of implementation. In each subsequent year through 2016-17, another $50 million will be added to the system for a total of $150 million per year, enabling all districts to participate in the program if they choose. On March 3rd, the Department announced the selection of 39 school districts from around the state to participate in the first year of the system. The Department will support both school districts selected to participate in the first cohort as well as those planning for the second round of TLC applications.
TLC Documents and Resources
TLC System Application FAQs (2015-07-21)
TLC System Implementation FAQs (2015-07-21)
TLC System – Framework for Learning Supports (2014-08-01)
TLC System – Launching Teacher Leadership (2014-04-18)
Supporting Teacher Leadership Programs (Iowa AEAs) (2014-04-04)
TLC Plan Changes
How does a district submit a request to change its TLC plan?
School districts wishing to amend their TLC Plan should submit changes using the TLC Plan Change Request Form. A separate form should be filled out and submitted for each change being requested. Districts are asked to describe the change, the rationale for the change, and the level of support for the change. Support documents that don't fit within the form (e.g., budget spreadsheets) should be emailed to Becky Slater at email@example.com. All changes will be approved by Director Wise.
When do districts need to submit a change request?
If the paper TLC plan and enacted TLC plan no longer align a change request needs to be submitted to account for that difference. In other words, if someone were walking through your district with your TLC plan in their hands would what is on the paper align to what they see? If not, a change request needs to be submitted. Additionally, any changes made to Part 8 of the grant including measures used to monitor the impact/effectiveness of the TLC plan this will need to be submitted.
What changes have districts made?
TLC Plan Revisions (2015-11-23) - This document lists change requests and outcomes that have been made by districts. The document will be updated periodically throughout the year.
The TLC Online Community (Agora) brings teacher leaders and administrators from across the state together to collaborate about school improvement and the teacher leadership compensation system. Navigate the community as a guest or enroll in the community to sign up for notifications and participate in activities.
|Keystone AEA 1||Pat Heiderscheit||PHeiderscheit@aea1.k12.ia.us||563-245-1480|
|AEA 267||Kathy Enslinfirstname.lastname@example.org||319-273-8200|
|Prairie Lakes AEA 8||Jaymie Randelemail@example.com||515-325-6085|
|Mississippi Bend AEA 9||Nicole Petersonfirstname.lastname@example.org||563-344-6487|
|Grant Wood AEA 10||Jim Pedersenemail@example.com||319-399-6700|
|Heartland AEA 11||Kevin Fangmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||515-270-9030|
|Northwest AEA||Jon Wibbelsemail@example.com||712-222-6000|
|Green Hills AEA||Jan Norgaardfirstname.lastname@example.org||712-366-0503x5201|
|Great Prairie AEA||Anne Morganemail@example.com||641-682-8591|
TLC Application Instructions - IowaGrants.gov (2015-05-27)
TLC Plan Application (2014-06-19)
TLC Plan Application Scoring Rubric (2014-06-19)
Cohort 3 Application Process Updates (2015-05-27)
2015-2016 TLC Budget Estimate (2014-08-21)
TLC Year 2 Selection Process and Results
- Commission on Educator Leadership and Compensation Members 2014-2015
- 2014-02-28 Letter to Superintendents on TLC Process - Year 2
- TLC Application Scores by School District - Year 2 (2015-01-06)
- TLC Accepted School Districts by Year (2015-05-12)
- Map of TLC Accepted School Districts by Year (2015-05-12)
- TLC Year 2 and 3 - Approved Applications and Scores by Parts
- TLC Exemplars Less than 1000
- TLC Exemplars More than 1000
TLC Year 1 Selection Process and Results
- Commission on Educator Leadership and Compensation Members 2013-2014
- 2014-02-28 Letter to Superintendents on TLC Process
- TLC Application Scores by School District
- Number of TLC Applications by AEA/School District Size
- TLC Executive Summaries - Approved School Districts
- TLC Year 1 - Approved Applications and Scores by Parts
- TLC Exemplars (Schools with Fewer Than 1000 Students)
- TLC Exemplars (Schools with More Than 1000 Students)