Iowa Safe Schools Week is Oct. 16-22 – Get Prepared! (September 2016 School Leader Update)
Here are some things you can do in your school to recognize Iowa Safe Schools week locally:
- Work with your local fire department to do lesson plans regarding fires.
- Practice fire drills, tornado drills, and other emergency drills.
- Start an awareness campaign in your school asking your students to be aware of their surroundings and anything that is out of place, etc.
- Remind parents about school bus safety.
- Review your buildings for appropriate access controls.
- Make sure you’re implementing effective school security when visitors are in your building.
- Review your school safety plan with local law enforcement and other emergency management agencies.
- Plan a day at the Capitol for the proclamation signing of Safe Schools Week by Governor Branstad. The date and time is yet to be determined but you may contact nicole.proesch@Iowa.gov for more information and to check availability of space.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. If you have other ideas, we would love to hear them. Just send me an email at email@example.com.