Speaking and Listening - Grade 1
The following standards for K–5 offer a focus for instruction each year to help ensure that students gain adequate mastery of a range of skills and applications. Students advancing through the grades are expected to meet each year’s grade-specific standards and retain or further develop skills and understandings mastered in preceding grades.
Standards in this domain:
Comprehension and Collaboration
- SL.1.1. Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 1 topics and textswith peers and adults in small and larger groups.
- Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
- Build on others’ talk in conversations by responding to the comments of others through multiple exchanges.
- Ask questions to clear up any confusion about the topics and texts under discussion.
- SL.1.2. Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
- SL.1.3. Ask and answer questions about what a speaker says in order to gather additional information or clarify something that is not understood.
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
- SL.1.4. Describe people, places, things, and events with relevant details, expressing ideas and feelings clearly.
- SL.1.5. Add drawings or other visual displays to descriptions when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
- SL.1.6. Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation.
- IA.3. Recite familiar stories, poems, nursery rhymes, and lines of a play.