English Language Arts Standards » Kindergarten-Grade 12 » Reading: Informational Text » Grade 2
The following standards foster the independent reading of a diverse array of challenging informational texts in a range of subjects in which students are expected to build knowledge, gain insights, explore possibilities, and broaden their perspective, thus preparing them for the cognitive demand of true understanding of complex text.
Standards in this domain:
Key Ideas and Details
- RI.2.1. Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- RI.2.2. Identify the main topic of a multiparagraph text as well as the focus of specific paragraphs within the text.
- RI.2.3. Describe the connection between a series of historical events, scientific ideas or concepts, or steps in technical procedures in a text.
- IA.1. Employ the full range of research-based comprehension strategies, including making connections, determining importance, questioning, visualizing, making inferences, summarizing, and monitoring for comprehension.
Craft and Structure
- RI.2.4. Determine the meaning of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject area.
- RI.2.5. Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
- RI.2.6. Identify the main purpose of a text, including what the author wants to answer, explain, or describe.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- RI.2.7. Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
- RI.2.8. Describe how reasons support specific points the author makes in a text.
- RI.2.9. Compare and contrast the most important points presented by two texts on the same topic.
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
- RI.2.10. By the end of year, read and comprehend informational texts, including history/social studies, science, and technical texts, in the grades 2–3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.