English Language Arts Standards » Kindergarten-Grade 12 » Speaking and Listening » Kindergarten
The following standards for K–5 offer a focus for instruction each year to help ensure that students gain adequate mastery of a range of skills and applications. Students advancing through the grades are expected to meet each year’s grade-specific standards and retain or further develop skills and understandings mastered in preceding grades.
Standards in this domain:
Comprehension and Collaboration
- SL.K.1. Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about kindergarten topics and textswith peers and adults in small and larger groups.
- Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., listening to others and taking turns speaking about the topics and texts under discussion).
- Continue a conversation through multiple exchanges.
- SL.K.2. Confirm understanding of a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media by asking and answering questions about key details and requesting clarification if something is not understood.
- SL.K.3. Ask and answer questions in order to seek help, get information, or clarify something that is not understood.
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
- SL.K.4. Describe familiar people, places, things, and events and, with prompting and support, provide additional detail.
- SL.K.5. Add drawings or other visual displays to descriptions as desired to provide additional detail.
- SL.K.6. Speak audibly and express thoughts, feelings, and ideas clearly.
- IA.3. Recite familiar stories, poems, nursery rhymes, and lines of a play.