School Budget Review Committee Hearing Information
On this page...
SBRC Hearing Schedule and Critical Filing Dates
|Hearing Date||Requests Due (Received)||Exhibits Due (Received)|
|October 3, 2017||September 1, 2017||September 1, 2017|
|December 12, 2017||November 10, 2017||November 10, 2017|
|March 13, 2018||February 9, 2018||February 9, 2018|
The final hearings for FY 2016-2017 will be held on March 14, 2017. Requests for hearings and exhibits are due on February 10, 2017.
SBRC Hearing Request (Online Application)
School districts may request to have a hearing before the School Budget Review Committee (SBRC) to request modified supplemental amount for General Fund purposes or to request to use the unexpended General Fund balance to complete construction that was voted by the district patrons. The district will request a hearing using an online form. Click on the link above to access the form.
Be sure to print the acknowledgment that will appear on the screen after submitting the request for a hearing.
Summary of SBRC Hearing Decisions
2016-2017 School Year
- FY17 SBRC Application for Modified Supplemental Amount
- FY16 Excess LEP costs
- FY16 SBRC Transportation Assistance Grant
- Link to Special Education Finance - FY16 Special education excess balances, deficits, and Supplemental Aid
- Link to Budgets, Area Education Agencies - FY16 AEA Special Education Fund Balances
2015-2016 School Year
- Link to FY17 Dropout Prevention Modified Supplemental Amount
- Link to FY17 Gifted and Talented Allocation
- Link to FY17 Special Education Administrative Costs Approved by SBRC March 2016
- FY16 SBRC Application for Modified Supplemental Amount
- FY15 Excess LEP costs
- FY15 SBRC Transportation Assistance Grant
- Link to Special Education Finance - FY15 Special education excess balances, deficits, and Supplemental Aid
- Link to Budgets, Area Education Agencies - FY15 AEA Special Education Fund Balances
Modified Supplemental Amount Granted by Fiscal Year
Cash Reserve Levy
Iowa Code 298.10 sets the limit for cash reserve levies. The cash reserve levy for a budget year shall not exceed twenty percent (20%) of the General Fund expenditures for the year previous to the base year minus the unexpended fund balance in the General Fund for the year previous to the base year. The unexpended fund balance, for purposes of calculating the cash reserve levy limit, is the sum of the assigned and unassigned fund balances in the General Fund.
Information on the cash reserve levies in each school district can be found on the Department of Management's website, in the spreadsheet entitled "Aid and Levy, Tax, and Program Summary".