Education Events - School Meals
2017 Summer Short Courses
A series of workshops to provide in-person training for managing school nutrition programs. Click on the link above to register or see full program descriptions. Please note there are some new locations.
- Manager’s Update on Thursday, June 15, 2017 @ Airport Holiday Inn in Des Moines, following School Nutrition Association Conference
- ServSafe ® Certification Course on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- Financial Management on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- HACCP 101 on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- Procurement Basics on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- New Manager Orientation August 1 – 3 @ FFA Enrichment Center, 1055 SW Prairie Trail Parkway (DMACC Campus), Ankeny
- Healthy Meals Workshop August 2 – 3 @ FFA Enrichment Center, 1055 SW Prairie Trail Parkway (DMACC Campus), Ankeny
School administrators, wellness committee members, school nurses, PE teachers, foodservice directors, and others are invited to participate.
The webinar will include the following:
- USDA Local Wellness Policy Final Rule
- Iowa Association of School Boards Sample Wellness Policy
- Child Nutrition Administrative Review School Wellness Questions
- School Wellness Policy Resources
All those that register will receive a link to the recording.
New Manager Webinar Series:
This series of three webinars is designed to assist individuals who are new to a leadership position in Iowa School Nutrition Programs to feel confident in assuming their duties.
New Manager Webinar 1 was presented on January 11,2017
This webinar presented the essential functions of a School Nutrition Program and resources for training on these functions. An introduction to program documentation requirements was included. A recording of this webinar can be requested by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Handouts are available on Learning Tools- Nutrition
February 8, 2017- New Manager Webinar 2 Menus and Food Production
Menus are the basis for assuring that program requirements are met. This session cannot cover all aspects of menus, but will help participants identify their level of understanding. Additional learning resources on this topic can be found on Learning Tools- Nutrition. Links to recommended resources are provided when participants register.
March 8, 2017 – New Manager Webinar 3 Serving it Right
Steps in correct service to assure that only reimbursable meals are claimed for USDA reimbursement will be highlighted. Webinar content may be adjusted based on feedback from participants in Webinars 1 and 2.
What’s New in School Nutrition
Along with the review of Monthly Memo Updates, Iowa and USDA Guidance for developing the required Unpaid Meals Policy will be presented.
January 23, 2017 2:00 PM, USDA Foods: Basics of Using Your Planned Assistance Level (PAL) - Sarah White will present options for using USDA Foods, how to order them, and how to track usage.
Iowa School Nutrition Web-based Tutorials (available 24/7)