Education Events - School Meals
This series of three webinars is designed to assist individuals who are new to a leadership position in Iowa School Nutrition Programs to feel confident in assuming their duties.
New Manager Webinar 1 was presented on January 11,2017
This webinar presented the essential functions of a School Nutrition Program and resources for training on these functions. An introduction to program documentation requirements was included. A recording of this webinar can be requested by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Handouts are available on Learning Tools- Nutrition
February 8, 2017, 2:00 - 3:00 PM - New Manager Webinar 2 Menus and Food Production
Menus are the basis for assuring that program requirements are met. This session cannot cover all aspects of menus, but will help participants identify their level of understanding. Additional learning resources on this topic can be found on Learning Tools- Nutrition. Links to recommended resources are provided when participants register.
March 8, 2017, 2:00 - 3:00 PM – New Manager Webinar 3 Serving it Right
Steps in correct service to assure that only reimbursable meals are claimed for USDA reimbursement will be highlighted. Webinar content may be adjusted based on feedback from participants in Webinars 1 and 2.
Tuesday, February 14th from 2:00pm - 3:00pm - USDA Foods New Website and DoD Program Sign up SY 17-18
- Interested in spending your USDA Foods PAL dollars on fresh produce next school year? Please join us for a 1 hour webinar discussing the program, how it works, and how to sign up for SY 17-18.
- Get a glimpse of the new Iowa USDA Foods website available through the Iowa Education Portal.
- No Registration Required. Join Webinar using following link: https://idoe.zoom.us/j/886675998. Link will also be sent via email from Sarah.White@iowa.gov
- 1 training hour – USDA Professional Standards for School Nutrition Professionals
Along with the review of Monthly Memo Updates, Iowa and USDA Guidance for developing the required Unpaid Meals Policy will be presented.
In addition to the monthly memo updates, Patti Delger and Carrie Scheidel, Iowa Team Nutrition Co-Directors, will review Smarter Lunchroom resources that are available including "No Time to Train" webcasts that can be used for training of school nutrition employees.
Wednesday, March 29th, 12:00pm - 3:00pm - USDA Diverted Foods Food Show
- Interested in spending your USDA Foods PAL dollars on processed end products next school year? Please join us for a food show, where you can taste the items available for SY 17-18.
- Registration will be available through the DE Calendar (coming soon)!
2017 Summer Short Courses
A series of workshops to provide in-person training for managing school nutrition programs. Click on the link above to register or see full program descriptions. Please note there are some new locations.
- Manager’s Update on Thursday, June 15, 2017 @ Airport Holiday Inn in Des Moines, following School Nutrition Association Conference
- ServSafe ® Certification Course on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- Financial Management on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- HACCP 101 on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- Procurement Basics on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- New Manager Orientation August 1 – 3 @ FFA Enrichment Center, 1055 SW Prairie Trail Parkway (DMACC Campus), Ankeny
- Healthy Meals Workshop August 2 – 3 @ FFA Enrichment Center, 1055 SW Prairie Trail Parkway (DMACC Campus), Ankeny
Iowa School Nutrition Web-based Tutorials (available 24/7)