Education Events - School Meals
New Manager Webinar Series:
This series of three webinars is designed to assist individuals who are new to a leadership position in Iowa School Nutrition Programs to feel confident in assuming their duties. New Manager Webinar 1 was presented on January 11,2017 and New Manager Webinar 2 was presented on February 8, 2017. Links to recordings of these webinars are available on Learning Tools- Nutrition .
March 8, 2017, 2:00 - 3:00 PM - New Manager Webinar 3 Serving it Right
Steps in correct service to assure that only reimbursable meals are claimed for USDA reimbursement will be highlighted. Webinar content may be adjusted based on feedback from participants in Webinars 1 and 2.
Along with the review of Monthly Memo Updates, Iowa and USDA Guidance for developing the required Unpaid Meals Policy will be presented.
In addition to the monthly memo updates, Patti Delger and Carrie Scheidel, Iowa Team Nutrition Co-Directors, will review Smarter Lunchroom resources that are available including "No Time to Train" webcasts that can be used for training of school nutrition employees.
Wednesday, March 29th, 12:00pm - 3:00pm - USDA Diverted Foods Food Show
- Interested in spending your USDA Foods PAL dollars on processed end products next school year? Please join us for a food show, where you can taste the items available for SY 17-18.
- Registration will be available through the DE Calendar (coming soon)!
In addition to the review of the monthly memo update, this webinar will include tips on using the Financial Report in IowaCNP as a management tool to evaluate revenues vs. expenses, costs per meal, nonprogram revenue, and net cash resources.
In addition to the review of the monthly memo update this webinar will discuss essential elements of a HACCP Plan and importance of annual staff training and annual review of the plan.
2017 Summer Short Courses
A series of workshops to provide in-person training for managing school nutrition programs. Click on the link above to register or see full program descriptions. Please note there are some new locations.
- Manager’s Update on Thursday, June 15, 2017 @ Airport Holiday Inn in Des Moines, following School Nutrition Association Conference
- ServSafe ® Certification Course on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- Financial Management on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- HACCP 101 on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- Procurement Basics on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 @ the Scheman Building at ISU in Ames
- New Manager Orientation August 1 – 3 @ FFA Enrichment Center, 1055 SW Prairie Trail Parkway (DMACC Campus), Ankeny
- Healthy Meals Workshop August 2 – 3 @ FFA Enrichment Center, 1055 SW Prairie Trail Parkway (DMACC Campus), Ankeny
Iowa School Nutrition Web-based Tutorials (available 24/7)