Smart Snacks in School
On this page...
Smart Snacks in School Nutrition Standards (Final Rule)- The Healthy, Hunger‐Free Kids Act of 2010, establishes nutrition standards for all foods and beverages sold to students before, during and 30 minutes after the school day. The nutrition standards that are a part of the Iowa Healthy Kids Act are now equivalent to USDA’s Smart Snack standards.
School Nutrition, Fundraisers, School Stores, Vending, and Smart Snacks
Implementation of the Smart Snacks in School Nutrition Standards at the local level is reviewed during the School Nutrition Administrative Review that takes place every 3 years. Communication with school staff and school groups is key to successful compliance. It is the role of school nutrition to ensure that everyone that sells foods and beverages to students during the school day is aware of the Smart Snacks standards and provides assistance in meeting the standards. Below are some resources that can assist School Nutrition as they work with school groups on Smart Snacks compliance.
Guide to Smart Snacks in Schools - Overview of Smart Snacks Standards and how to tell if a food/beverage meets the requirements. This is a ready-to-go resource for anyone that oversees the sale of foods/beverages to students on the school campus during the school day.
USDA Questions and Answers - Clarification of the Smart Snacks nutrition standards.
Smart Snacks in School Webinar - For school staff and wellness committees to learn more about the regulations that foods and beverages sold outside of a reimbursable meal must meet. The webinar addresses the changes from Healthy Kids Act to Smart Snacks and provided an overview of the Alliance for a Healthier Generation calculator.
- Smart Snacks in School Webinar Slide Handout
- Short Smart Snacks Presentation - Provides background information, including venues where the guidelines apply, the types of foods and beverages that will be allowed, and resources that are available to assist with implementation.
USDA Smart Snacks Webpage - Overview of Smart Snacks in School including a summary of the standards; regulation and policy, frequently asked questions and issue briefs, and available technical assistance.
Alliance for a Healthier Generation Smart Snacks Calculator - USDA has thoroughly reviewed this tool and has determined it to be accurate in assessing food product compliance with the federal requirements for Smart Snacks in Schools.
Alliance for a Healthier Generation Product Navigator - Features snack, side, entrée and beverage products that meet the USDA Smart Snacks in School Guidelines from leading manufacturers.
List of Acceptable Foods and Beverages - This resource developed by Connecticut State Department of Education, provides a list of acceptable food and beverage items that meet Smart Snacks. Note: all products still need to be determined compliant by the nutrition calculator with a calculator print out for documentation.
Tip Sheets for Schools: Implementing Healthier Standards for Competitive Foods - Five tips sheets share strategies for selling and serving healthier a la carte and snack foods and beverages in schools while still maintaining revenues and minimizing student resistance. The tips sheets highlight key findings from the Controlling Junk Food and the Bottom Line study that profiles eight school districts from across the country.
Smart Snack Recipes
The following recipes meet Smart Snacks standards. These may be most beneficial for Family Consumer Sciences, Food Classes, school stores and a la carte lines.
Gooey Chocolate Muffin - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Fruit Yogurt Muffin - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Oven French Toast - OSU - Food Hero Recipe
Smart Cranberry Cookie - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Banana Berry Smoothie - OSU Food Hero Recipes (double recipe and increase serving size to 2 cups)
Berry Lemon Sorbet - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Cherry Chocolate Smoothie - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Pumpkin Smoothie in a Cup - OSU - Food Hero Recipe
Strawberry Peanut Butter Smoothie - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Crunchy Dill Veggie Wrap - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Mexican Sweet Potato Bowl - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Slim Slammer: Turkey and Apple - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Slim Slammer: Chicken and Cucumber - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Tuna Salad Bowl - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Funky Fruit Salsa - Chef Dee Dee Recipe
Additional Smart Snacks Recipe:
Banana Split Smoothie, Crumble Topped Fruit Mix-Up, Apple Pie Cereal Mix, Just for Kick Snack Mix, Chocolate Orange Burst Muffins, Maple Monkey Bars, Pumpkin Chocolate Swirl Bread, Lemon Glazed Graham Goodies, Snickerdoodle Cloud Cookies
- Fruit: Apple Smiles, Dried Apricots, Cinnamon Orange Slices, Pear Rabbit, Caramel Apple Salad, Yogurt Strawberries, Fruit Snake, Fruit Jumble, Baked Banana Chips, Coco Nut Bananas, Pear Party Salsa, Blueberry Applesauce, Kiwi Watermelon Salsa, Frozen Yogurt Covered Blueberries
- Vegetables: Edamame Nibbles, Cookie Dough Hummus, Broccomole Dip, Kale Chips
- Grains: Pretzel Shapes, Banana Bread, Strawberry Banana Oat Cookie, Strawberry Muffins, Baked Tortilla Chips, Lemon Oatmeal Zucchini Muffins, Oatmeal Carrot Raisin Bread, Banana Cookies, Winter Squash Berry Cookies, Blueberry Muffin, Raspberry Oat Bran Muffins, Zucchini Pancakes, Granola Bars, Cinnamon Vanilla Granola, Apple Oatmeal Muffins, Whole-Wheat Rhubarb Muffin, Power Bites, Sugarless Oatmeal Cookies, Pumpkin Spice Muffins, Cinnamon Apple Muffins
- Combination: Ants on a Log, Fruit and Cheese Kabobs, Food Group Funny Face, Protein Roll Up, Peanut Butter Granola, Tomato Basil Bruschetta, Grapes and Grahams, Ham Rolls, Strawberry S'Mores, Strawberry Yogurt Fruit Parfait, Apple Cinnamon Wrap and Roll
- Smoothies: Orange Spinach Smoothie, Fruit Slush, Fruit Juice Slush, Orange Delight Juice, Yogurt Smoothie in a Bag, Orange Cow, Strawberry Slushie, Batido Smoothie, Cantaloupe Smoothie, Berry Slush, Peach Cooler, Mango Raspberry Smoothies, Green Monster Smoothie, Refreshing Spring Smoothie, Fruit and Yogurt Breakfast Shake
- Frozen: Orange Pineapple Popsicles, Frozen Melon Kabobs, Heavenly Fruit Pops, Peachy Pops, Blackberry Basil Popsicles, Frozen Melon Pops, Confetti Yogurt Pops, Banana Ice Cream, Fruit Yogurt Pops, Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites