Child and Adult Care Food Program
The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) is a federally funded program that provides meal reimbursement to child care centers, adult day care centers, emergency shelters, before and afterschool programs, and child development homes for serving nutritious meals. The objectives of CACFP are to:
- Provide a subsidy to eligible child and adult care institutions for serving nutritious meals
- Serve nutritious meals and snacks to children and adults in care
- Foster lifelong healthy eating and physical activity habits
This Program serves:
- Children age 0 through 12 years in child care centers.
- Children through age 18 in at risk afterschool programs and emergency shelters.
- Children of migrant workers, through age 15.
- Functionally impaired disabled persons receiving care in a center or home where most children are 18 years old and younger.
- Adults age 60 or older or impaired adults of any age in non-residential day care settings.
The funds provided for this Program are from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The Program is operated in Iowa through the Bureau of Nutrition and Health in the Department of Education.
Move for Thought Pre K & K - integrates physical activity, books and music in the preschool classroom. The activities focus on book reading, as well as on practicing self-control and self-regulations through fun activities and games The kit was developed by Spyridoula Vazou, PhD, Department of Kinesiology, at Iowa State University, funded through Team Nutrition.
Physical Activity Card Sets - provide hands on suggestions to help childcare providers implement the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and integrate physical activity in the child care setting. The resources were developed to make it easy to include health-enhancing components in childcare.
Pass the Peaches, Please - Dayle Hayes provided an interactive workshop for CACFP Home Sponsors and Center personnel The training addressed a variety of mealtime scenarios and tips for making mealtimes with children pleasant and enjoyable for both children and adults.