Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a 24-hour suicide prevention service available to anyone in suicidal crisis. If you need help, please dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
Text "HOPELINE" to 741741 or go to www.centerforsuicideawareness.org for 24/7 free trained crisis counselors.
SAMHSA's National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders.
The Trevor Lifeline
1-866-581-8111 (call 24/7)
855-895-TEXT(8398) (text 2pm-10pm)
An Iowa resource that provides 24/7 support via phone call, and support via text from 2pm-10pm daily.
Suicide Toolkits for Schools
Iowa Resources and Information
Resources about the Netflix series "13 Reasons Why"
From Suicide Prevention Organizations
- A Teachable Moment: using 13 Reasons Why to Initiate a Helpful Conversation about Suicide Prevention and Mental Health (AFSP/ASCA/NASP) (Webinar)
- Tips for Parents for Talking with their Children about 13 Reasons Why and Suicide (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention)
- Briefing in Connection with the Netflix Series 13 Reasons Why (International Association for Suicide Prevention)
- 13 Reasons Why Talking Points (The Jed Foundation/Suicide Awareness Voices of Education)
From Other Mental Health/Professional Organizations
- 13 Mental Health Questions about 13 Reasons Why (American Psychiatric Association)
- 13 Reasons Why Netflix Series: How School Counselors Can Help (American School Counselor Association)
- 13 Reasons Why Netflix Series: Considerations for Educators (National Association of School Psychologists)
- 13 Ways to Continue the Conversation about 13 Reasons Why (Active Minds)