Iowa Youth Survey
On this page...
The Iowa Youth Survey is a collaborative effort conducted by the Iowa Department of Public Health, the Iowa Department of Education, the Office of Drug Control Policy, the Iowa Department of Human Services, and the Division of Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning in the Department of Human Rights. It has been administered in Iowa since 1975 but has undergone significant changes over time.
Since 1999, the survey has been administered to almost all of the 6th, 8th, and 11th grade students in the state. As a result, the Iowa Youth Survey has become a "census" survey that reflects the perceptions, attitudes, and behaviors of Iowa youth. In 2012, a total of 70,770 student surveys were completed and included in analyses.
The data have been reported in various ways to meet the needs of state, regional, and local planners. When these reports do not meet the needs of schools, AEA and DE staff is available to provide guidance and needed data analysis support.
Iowa Youth Survey reports list responses to every question on the survey, providing total percentages and breakdowns by grade and gender. Twenty six constructs within nine framework domains are included.
Reports in the following categories are available at www.iowayouthsurvey.iowa.gov:
- State of Iowa
- Judicial Districts
- Department of Public Health Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Planning Regions
- Area Education Agencies
Also available is the Iowa Youth Survey Trend Report which contains comparisons across all surveys using a youth development results framework.
The 2012 Iowa Youth Survey district reports and district trend reports are now available!
These reports can be accessed online for all districts that:
- Took the IYS in September-October 2012,
- Have taken the IYS in previous years, and
- Had enough students participate in 2012 to receive a report.
Please use the following steps to download your district’s 2012 IYS report and 2012 IYS trend report from the DE’s secure site, EdInfo:
- Have the person in charge of EdInfo security in your district login to EdInfo (https://www.edinfo.state.ia.us/) and give you access to the application “Download – DE to District”.
- Login to EdInfo using your ID and Password.
- Click on the button “Download - DE to District”. A new screen will appear with four PDF files: (a) 2010 report, (b) 2010 trend report (2002-2010), (c) 2012 report, and (d) 2012 trend report (2002-2012). The 2012 trend report ends in 10-31-13.
- Click on the name of the file to open it, then save it to your local computer.