Iowa Youth Survey
On this page...
The Iowa Youth Survey (IYS) is a collaborative effort conducted by the Iowa Department of Public Health, the Iowa Department of Education, the Office of Drug Control Policy, the Iowa Department of Human Services, and the Division of Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning in the Department of Human Rights. The Iowa Department of Public Health is the lead agency, and host the main website for the Iowa Youth Survey.
The IYS has been administered in Iowa since 1975 but has undergone significant changes over time. Since 1999, the survey has been administered to almost all of the 6th, 8th, and 11th grade students in the state. As a result, the IYS has become a "census" survey that reflects the perceptions, attitudes, and behaviors of Iowa youth.
Iowa Youth Survey reports list responses to every question on the survey, providing total percentages and breakdowns by grade and gender. The data have been reported in various ways to meet the needs of state, regional, and local planners. When these reports do not meet the needs of schools, AEA and DE staff are available to provide guidance and needed data analysis support.
Reports in the following categories are available at www.iowayouthsurvey.iowa.gov:
- State of Iowa
- Judicial Districts
- Department of Public Health Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Planning Regions
- Area Education Agencies
If you are a district employee and would like to access previous reports, please use the following steps to download your district's report(s) from the DE's secure site.
- Have a Portal user with “Download - DE to District” access login to the Iowa Education Portal.
- This is typically the superintendent and anyone s/he gives access.
- Under EdInfo, click on “Download – DE to District.” A new screen will appear with your district’s IYS reports from 2010–2016.
- Click on the name of the file to open it, then save it to your local computer.
Beginning in 2018, IDPH will be sending reports to districts. For additional information, contact Pat McGovern at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are not a district employee, but are interested in having access to the IYS report for a particular district, contact the district directly to request a copy of the report.