Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
Iowa's Draft ESSA Plan
Iowans are encouraged to provide feedback on the second draft of the Every Student Succeeds Act state plan, released June 16.
Iowa Department of Education leaders revised the first draft, released in January, based on broad public input from a statewide information tour, online survey, and state advisory committee.
Feedback will be collected through an online survey open through July 18.
Comments also may be submitted via email at ESSA@iowa.gov or by mail: Iowa Department of Education, Attn: Deputy Director David Tilly/ESSA Feedback, Grimes State Office Building, 400 E. 14th St., Des Moines, IA 50319-0146
Input on the second draft will be considered in a third and final draft of Iowa’s ESSA plan in August. Iowa’s final ESSA plan will be submitted to the U.S. Department of Education by September 18.
About the Every Student Succeeds Act
ESSA is a reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965. This update, which received bipartisan support in Congress and was signed by the President in 2015, replaces the No Child Left Behind Act and will be fully implemented in the 2017-18 school year. ESSA maintains a focus on transparency and accountability while returning more authority to states and local school districts to set goals and create systems of support that will improve student learning. Under ESSA, Iowa and other states must develop state plans that address assessments, school and district accountability, funding, and support for struggling schools.
January 2017 Draft Plan
ESSA News in Iowa
- 06/16/17 Second draft of Iowa's ESSA plan released for public review, feedback
- 01/20/17 Input sought on first draft of Iowa’s Every Student Succeeds Act plan
- 12/20/16 January statewide meetings set on the Every Student Succeeds Act
- 09/20/16 Public input sought on Every Student Succeeds Act
- 08/15/16 Director Wise announces Every Student Succeeds Act Advisory Committee
- 03/23/16 Public input sought on providing support to Iowa students in high-need schools under new federal law
- 12/09/15 Director Ryan Wise releases statement on the Every Student Succeeds Act
Iowa ESSA fact sheet (2016-09-26)
2016 Listening Tour (2016-09-06)
ESSA Iowa Frequently Asked Questions for Educators (2016-07-15)