Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
The Every Student Succeeds Act, signed in 2015, replaced the No Child Left Behind Act. It maintains a focus on equity for all students, while giving states and local school districts much more ownership over systems of school accountability and support. In Iowa, ESSA has been a great opportunity to build on bold education improvements under way that align with ESSA requirements, including clear and rigorous standards for what students should know and be able to do, a school accountability system that targets support where and when schools need it most, and a structure for professional learning that emphasizes teacher leadership and evidence-based practices.
Iowa's State Plan
Iowa Department of Education leaders finalized the state’s plan for meeting requirements of ESSA and submitted it to the U.S. Department of Education on September 18, 2017. Based on feedback from the U.S. Department of Education, the Iowa Department of Education is revising Iowa’s plan and expects to re-submit it by March 1.
Iowa Department of Education officials collected broad public input on development of the state’s ESSA plan. This outreach effort included 18 public meetings across the state in the fall of 2016 and winter of 2017, meetings of a state advisory committee and 11 education work teams, convening of focus groups, and collection of written comments through online feedback surveys, email and mail. The Department released three drafts of Iowa’s plan for public review in 2017.
Stakeholder Feedback on Iowa's Draft Plan - This document represents raw data from the Department's outreach effort in 2016 and 2017.
ESSA News in Iowa
- 09/18/17 Iowa Department of Education submits ESSA plan to U.S. Department of Education
- 08/17/17 Third draft of Iowa’s ESSA plan released for public review
- 06/16/17 Second draft of Iowa's ESSA plan released for public review, feedback
- 01/20/17 Input sought on first draft of Iowa’s Every Student Succeeds Act plan
- 12/20/16 January statewide meetings set on the Every Student Succeeds Act
- 09/20/16 Public input sought on Every Student Succeeds Act
- 08/15/16 Director Wise announces Every Student Succeeds Act Advisory Committee
- 03/23/16 Public input sought on providing support to Iowa students in high-need schools under new federal law