Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
Iowa's Draft ESSA Plan
The Iowa Department of Education will spend the next few months revising the first draft of Iowa’s plan to meet the Every Student Succeeds Act, with the goal of releasing a final draft in May and submitting a final plan to the U.S. Department of Education in September.
The Department sought broad feedback on the first draft of Iowa’s ESSA plan since its release on January 6. Those efforts have included a two-week statewide information tour, an online feedback survey, and a state advisory committee.
Iowans may continue to give feedback via email at ESSA@iowa.gov or by mail: Iowa Department of Education, Attn: Deputy Director David Tilly/ESSA Feedback, Grimes State Office Building, 400 E. 14th St., Des Moines, IA 50319-0146.
Draft State Plan for ESSA (2017-01-06)
About the Every Student Succeeds Act
ESSA is a reauthorization of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965. This update, which received bipartisan support in Congress and was signed by the President in 2015, replaces the No Child Left Behind Act and will be fully implemented in the 2017-18 school year. ESSA maintains a focus on transparency and accountability while returning more authority to states and local school districts to set goals and create systems of support that will improve student learning. Under ESSA, Iowa and other states must develop state plans that address academic standards, assessments, school and district accountability, funding, and support for struggling schools.
Iowa ESSA fact sheet (2016-09-26)
ESSA Iowa Frequently Asked Questions for Educators (2016-07-15)
ESSA Press Releases
- 01/20/17 Input sought on first draft of Iowa’s Every Student Succeeds Act plan
- 12/20/16 January statewide meetings set on the Every Student Succeeds Act
- 09/20/16 Public input sought on Every Student Succeeds Act
- 08/15/16 Director Wise announces Every Student Succeeds Act Advisory Committee
- 03/23/16 Public input sought on providing support to Iowa students in high-need schools under new federal law
- 12/09/15 Director Ryan Wise releases statement on the Every Student Succeeds Act
U.S. Department of Education (USDE) Resources
Proposed Regulations - Scroll about half way down the page.