Microsoft Settlement Information for Iowa Schools
On this page...
Microsoft Cy Pres - Program ends June 30, 2017
The Microsoft Cy Pres program will end June 30, 2017. This date is to be considered as both the final purchase date and final filing date for redemption paperwork. This may mean that if a district or elementary school is negotiating a purchase in June 2017, part of the negotiation should be for the vendor to deliver the invoice to the district or school in time for the district or school to get it filed with the claims administrator before June 30, 2017. The final date to file an addendum to your application is March 31, 2017. Remember the focus is pk-3 literacy
Remind teachers to take part in the teacher survey at RISE. The url for the survey website is: https://msp-rise-hs.sws.iastate.edu/.
In August 2007, the class action suit between the Microsoft Corporation and the citizens of Iowa was settled. The amount of the settlement was for $179,950,000. Organizations and citizens who had purchased eligible Microsoft products had until December 15, 2007 to file a claim for these funds. The unclaimed portion of these funds became part of the Cy Pres program. The major beneficiary ($60 million) of this program were K - 12 Iowa public schools with "substantial poverty." This was not an entitlement program but a grant/ voucher - reimbursement program. Schools had to decide to participate and filed a simple online application. The focus of the program was to provide technology both hardware and software to these schools that the schools felt would assist them in their implementation of the Iowa Core. The program worked as a reimbursement program in that the school first had to buy the items then file a claim submitting their issued voucher plus invoices to the claims administrator. Approximately $42 million was distributed to these eligible schools.
The Department was informed by Microsoft that its proposal to incorporate the unclaimed funds along with additional funding for a second Cy Pres program was approved. The Department convened a task force regarding the use of these funds by Iowa schools. The task force recommendation was to focus the funds on the K-3 reading initiative in schools that had the greatest need in regards to poverty, SINA designation, and achievement gap. The program will impact 75% of all the public K-6 students who attend schools that have the greatest need as demonstrated under the specific criteria mentioned above. The 2nd Cy Pres program will run from January 1, 2015 to June 30, 2017. Eligible schools will be notified by the middle of September as to their ability to participate. Watch for the announcement of ICN sessions that will be scheduled for the middle to late October that will explain the program.
02/11/2015 Microsoft Settlement 2nd Cy Pres Update
This is the latest announcement from the claims administrator. A Balance Statement and Voucher Redemption Form for each eligible school in your district will be emailed in late February. Balance Statement information will also be available online in late February.
If you with wish to start the reimbursement process before you receive a voucher, please email your documentation in PDF format to the Claims Administrator at claimsadmin@IowaSchoolMicrosoftSettlement.com. If you have submitted your documentation without vouchers, you will need to submit the vouchers when you have received them. Please have the authorized contacts sign the vouchers and then email them to the Claims Administrator. The Claims Administrator will not be able to release payment until they have received a signed voucher. Note that this award is separate from, and in addition to, any Standard or Volume License claim that your district may have previously filed with the Claims Administrator.
Remember that you must email John O’Connell when you have certified your application so that he can review it. You can complete your application or file for an addendum up to March 30, 2017. If you have any questions or concerns, contract John O'Connell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-249-0334.
Final Calculations for 2nd Cy Pres
Claims administrator’s final calculations for eligible schools per student GPV $24.38 per student and SPV is $47.57. Locate your school on the spreadsheet. Columns “U” and column "V" contain the amount of the GPV and SPV that each building will receive.
Schools do not have to update their budget page if they have already filed their application. They will have to update their application if they change any numbers or products that they add to the application. This is done by sending an email to John O'Connell requesting to make an addendum.
If you have any questions or concerns, contract John O'Connell at email@example.com or 515-249-0334.
Procedure for filling a claim
- Print the attached voucher and complete the Voucher Redemption Form for the specific eligible school. Indicate the dollar amount claimed for each of the vouchers listed for that school. Vouchers may only be redeemed for eligible products listed in your application and purchased between January 1, 2015 and June 30, 2017. Vouchers cannot be transferred to any person or entity and cannot be transferred between schools or districts. If a school closes or transfer students to another school, you need to notify John O'Connell at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-249-0334 immediately as the money follows the students but the voucher does not.
- If mailed, enclose a photocopy of the itemized receipt or vendor invoice for the products you purchased and circle the items for which you would like to redeem the vouchers. If you are sending the claim in electronically, scan the vouchers, and vendor invoices or receipt and attached to the email to the claims administrator. Forms must be signed by the district Superintendent and Business Manager.
- Email to the claims administrator at ClaimsAdmin@IowaSchoolMicrosoftSettlement.com. Mail to: Claims Administrator, Iowa School Microsoft Settlement, P.O. Box 195, Minneapolis, MN 55440-0195. Forms must be signed by the district Superintendent and Business Manager and postmarked on or before June 30, 2017.
Note that an original Voucher Redemption Form must be signed and submitted for reimbursement to occur.
The Claims Administrator will send a reimbursement check to your district for the benefit of the designated school in the amount of eligible purchases up to the amount of the voucher within approximately 30 days of redemption submission. If you purchase eligible products that total less than the amount of your vouchers, you will receive a check in the amount of the eligible purchases and a new Balance Statement and Voucher Redemption Form to redeem the remaining balance. Balance Statements for schools in your district are also accessible online at http://www.iowaschoolmicrosoftsettlement.com.
Schools Eligible to Participate
Below is a list of eligible schools by AEA to participate in the Microsoft Settlement 2nd Cy Pres Program.
The Criteria for inclusion was based on the combined ranking of the schools in the area of percentage of students classified as non-proficient in reading, percentage of student in the Free and Reduced lunch category and the building status in SINA (School In Need of Assistance based on their status under the No Child Left Behind law of not meeting academic goals). Each school was ranked from 1 to 729 (number of buildings working with PK to sixth grade) based on each category individually. The scores were added together to determine the final ranking for eligibility. The program selection was based on the limit to impact no more than 75% of the buildings. Based on this and a natural break (1553 combined score – the largest break was selected as the cut off score) in the ranking, 541 buildings were selected. The programs focus is on the K-3 reading initiative, so only those building that had PK-3 population, (either one, some or all the grade levels) were included in the final list. An adjustment was made to the schools population to include pk-6 for all eligible schools provided there were these grades in the district.
For those eligible schools that wish to participate in this program there will be a short online application. There will also be webinars in October for those schools. Announcement of the dates and times will be posted on this web page. So come back after October 5.
- Keystone AEA 1 Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
- AEA 267 Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
- Prairie Lakes AEA 8 Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
- Mississippi Bend AEA 9 Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
- Grant Wood AEA 10 Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
- Heartland AEA 11 Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
- Northwest AEA Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
- Green Hills AEA Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
- Great Prairie AEA Schools Eligible to Participate in the Second Cy Pres Program
The application for the 2nd Cy Pres Program can be found under "Microsoft Settlement" when logged in as a district on the Iowa Education Portal. Access the Iowa Education Portal here.