On this page...
Laws and Regulations
281--Iowa Administrative Code 12.5(3) describes mathematics instruction at grade levels 1-6.
281--Iowa Administrative Code 12.5(4) describes mathematics instruction at grade levels 7-8.
281--Iowa Administrative Code 12.5(5) describes mathematics instruction at grade levels 9-12.
In Iowa, teacher licensure is handled by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
Visit the Iowa Core website to view the statewide academic expectations for all-12 students in the area of mathematics.
These pages are dedicated to resources to support Iowa Core Mathematics.
The following networks and communities are for different educator stakeholder groups who support math in Iowa. They allow for information to be streamlined better to groups who will find it pertinent to their work. Communities are topic focused for deeper dives into standards, instruction, and number sense to support the implementation of the Iowa Core Mathematics Standards - Content and Practice.
Links to sign-ups for the network, communities, and G+ communities can be found on the websites below under “Join” tab.
- IA Administrators Network - Math: (principals, curriculum directors, and superintendents)
- IA Coaching Network - Math: (teacher leaders, instructional coach, math specialist - variety of support, teachers and administrators, open to any IA educator)
- IA Core Advocates Network - Math Community: focused on implementing the standards
- IA Principles to Actions Community - Math: focused on effective math instruction
- IA Number Sense Community - Math: focused on building numeracy K-HS
- IA IM/OpenUp Community - Math: focused on implementing the 6th-8th resources
This program is designed to improve student academic achievement in mathematics and science by funding partnerships through a competitive grant process.
The Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) is the highest award a kindergarten - 12th grade mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States.