Waivers and Applications
On this page...
Submission of Waivers and Applications
All applications and waivers listed on this page are submitted through the Consolidated Accountability and Support Application (CASA). The district must request to have these applications and waivers turned on the the system. Contact Meredith MacQuigg at firstname.lastname@example.org for this addition.
Year Round Attendance Center
- Board Approval: Required
- Hearing: All applications are required to include a copy of the minutes from the public hearing at which the calendar was approved. These minutes must be signed by the district’s superintendent.
- Department Deadline: Applications must be received no later than November 1 of the year preceding the calendar start date. Districts will be notified no later than January 15th of the Department’s approval or denial of the application. Applications are approved for two years at a time. The district must reapply in November of the year preceding the expiration of the approval for the subsequent two years.
- Assurances: (a) the attendance center will provide at least ten days of instruction or the hourly equivalent during eleven of the twelve months of the year, (b) the period of time between instructional days will not exceed six weeks, and (c) the attendance center serves all students, and attendance is not limited based on any trait or characteristic of a student.
- Requirements/documentation include: This application is submitted through the Consolidated Accountability and Support Application (CASA). The district must request to have this application made accessible the system. Please contact Meredith MacQuigg at email@example.com for this addition.
- Guidance on School Start Date and Frequently Asked Questions
Iowa Code section 256.11(5)(f)
- Board Approval: Minutes that demonstrate that the local school board has approved this request to be waived from the 3rd and 4th sequential units of foreign language.
- Hearing: None required
- Department Deadline: None
- Assurance: That all requirements were met; however, no students enrolled in the 3rd and 4th sequential units of this foreign language.
- Requirements/documentation include:
- Foreign language for which the waiver is sought.
- Local school board approval of waiver request.
- School or school district currently employs teacher licensed/endorsed to teach the 3rd and 4th sequential units of the foreign language for which the waiver is sought. A copy of the teacher’s license/endorsement is attached to the waiver request.
- Grades 9-12 class schedule for the appropriate school year that shows that the 3rd and 4th units of this foreign language was assigned a schedule that would have allowed students to enroll, that the class was properly scheduled, and that students were aware of the course offerings.
- Assurance that no students are enrolled.
General Accreditation Standards
Chapter 12 Exemption Request Form 2015-2016 (2015-06-03)
- Board Approval: Board minutes that demonstrate that the local school board has approved the request.
- Hearing: None required
- Department Deadline: Written request and plan submitted to the department on or before January 1st preceding the school year for which the waiver is requested.
- Required components for a general accreditation standards exemption request include:
- The standard or standards for which the exemption is requested
- A rationale for each general accreditation standard identified above.
- The sources of supportive research evidence and information, when appropriate, that were analyzed and used to form the basis of each rationale.
- How the school or school district staff collaborated with the local community or with the school improvement advisory committee about the need for the exemption request.
- Evidence that the board approved the exemption request.
- A list of the indicators that will be measured to determine success.
- How the school or school district will measure the success of the standards exemption plan on improving student achievement or performance.