June 2010 State Board Annual Retreat Agenda
Iowa State Board of Education Annual Retreat
Tournament Club of Iowa
Polk City, Iowa June 23-24, 2010
Wednesday, June 23
- Welcome - Goals of the Retreat - Rosie Hussey
- Introductory Comments – Review Agenda – Kevin Fangman
- Provide brief overview of the Annual Update on the Strategic Plan (Tab A: Update on the Startegic Plan)
- Common Core Standards and Race to the Top – Kevin Fangman
- Technology Task Force Recommendations – Pam Pfitzenmaier Jacobs, Intel® Teach National Training Agency Director, Learning Point Associates (Tab B: Tech Task Force)
- At the 2009 State Board Retreat, the Board asked the Department to create a Technology Task Force to explore how we can facilitate the use of technology to improve instruction and increase student performance. Pam Pfitzenmaier Jacobs chaired this group and will present recommendations from the Task Force to the State Board.
- Panel of educators to discuss innovation in education, personalizing student learning, and utilizing technology to change the teaching and learning process (Pam Pfitzenmaier Jacobs – Facilitator)
Possible framework/questions for discussion:
- As a state education system, how do we need to move forward to meet the needs of students in the 21st century?
- What does 21st century learning look like?
- How can we personalize student learning?
- What are the opportunities for and barriers to innovation?
- What support do schools need?
- John Carver, Superintendent, Van Meter Community School District (one-to-one computer program)
- Nadene Davidson, Interim Department Head and Assistant Professor, Office of Student Field Experiences, UNI; Co-chair 21st Century Learning Skills
- Ron Fielder, Administrator, Grant Wood AEA
- Shannon Cde Baca, Designer and Teacher of Iowa Online Learning Chemistry Course
- Karl Hehr, Technology/Curriculum Director, South Hamilton Community School District
- Alan Peterka, Department Coordinator/Instructional Design, Distance Learning/Anytime Anywhere (ATAW), Kirkwood Community College
- Kameron Dodge, Former Iowa State Board Member, Student at Northwestern University
- Sarah Brown Wessling, 2010 National Teacher of the Year, Johnston Community School District
- Processing information / questions / continued discussion
- (Panelists leave after this session)
- Follow-up to the Technology Task Force Recommendations and the Panel Discussion – Pam Pfitzenmaier Jacobs –Facilitator
- What is the role of the State Board?
- What are the next steps?
- State Employee Retirement Incentive Program (SERIP) – Impact on the Department – Kevin Fangman
Adjourn for the day
Social Time and Dinner (dinner at 5:45 p.m.)
Thursday, June 24
- Financial Model and Funding for Schools – Jim Addy
- School Mergers and Dissolutions (process) – Del Hoover (Tab C: School Mergers)
- What are the next steps?
- Early warning system for schools in financial distress?
- Pressure points as districts merge?
- How can we support schools?
- Identify State Board of Education Policy Development Priorities for 2010-2011 – Facilitated by Kevin Fangman (Tab D: Policy Priorities)
- Discuss State Board Legislative Priorities for 2011 – Konni Cawiezell (Tab E: Legislative Priorities)
- Briefly review the 2010 State Board Legislative Advocacy Agenda and start to discuss legislative priorities for the 2011 session
- Set State Board meeting dates for 2011 – Gail Sullivan (Tab F: 2011 Meeting Dates)
- Closing remarks – Rosie Hussey