ICN Governance and Educational Advisory Councils
On this page...
During the 1994 legislative session, the Iowa General Assembly passed and the Governor signed SF2089. By statute, a three member telecommunications and technology commission is established with the sole authority to supervise the management, development, and operation of the Iowa Communications Network and ensure that all components of the network are technically compatible. The commission will ensure that the network operates in an efficient and responsible manner for the purpose of providing the best economic service attainable to the network users consistent with the state's financial capacity. The commission will ensure that educational users and the use, design, and implementation for educational applications be given the highest priority concerning use of the network. The commission will provide for the centralized, coordinated use and control of the network. In 1996, the General Assembly expanded the commission membership to five.
Educational Telecommunications Council (ETC)
During the 1994 legislative session, the Iowa General Assembly passed and the Governor signed SF2089. By statute, an 18 member education telecommunications council was created to establish scheduling and site usage policies for educational users of the network, coordinate the activities of the regional telecommunications councils, and develop proposed rules and changes to rules for recommendation to the commission. The council will also recommend long-range plans for enhancements needed for educational applications.
Meeting Dates, Agendas and Minutes
October 30, 2015
June 24, 2015
- 2015-06-24 Educational Telecommunications Council Agenda
- 2015-06-24 Educational Telecommunications Council Minutes
December 11, 2014
- 2014-12-11 Educational Telecommunications Council Agenda
- 2014-12-11 Educational Telecommunications Council Minutes
May 27, 2014
- 2014-05-27 Educational Telecommunications Council Agenda
- 2014-05-27 Educational Telecommunications Council Minutes
- Ken Colwell, Iowa Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, Davenport
- Galen Howsare, Iowa Association of School Boards, Des Moines
- Kent Johnson, State Board of Regents, Cedar Falls
- Ellen Kabat-Lensch, Iowa Association of Community College Trustees, Davenport
- Tom Kruse, Iowa Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, Dubuque
- Sally Lindgren, AEA Boards, Burlington
- Jan Lund, Iowa Association of Community College Trustees, Estherville
- Carol Montz, School Administrators of Iowa, Williamsburg
- Gwen Nagel, Iowa Department of Education, Des Moines
- Lane Plugge, AEA Boards, Council Bluffs
- Randy Richardson, Iowa State Education Association, Des Moines
- Terry Rinehart, Iowa Public Television, Johnston
- Kay Runge, Iowa Department of Education, Davenport
- Chet Rzonca, State Board of Regents, Iowa City
- Mark White, Iowa Association of Community College Trustees, Davenport
- Mary Wieser, Iowa Department of Education, Davenport
- Duane Willhite, School Administrators of Iowa, West Union
- Vacant, Iowa Association of School Boards, Des Moines
- Vacant, Iowa State Education Association, Des Moines
Regional Telecommunications Councils (RTCs)
During the 1994 legislative session, the Iowa General Assembly passed and the Governor signed SF2089. By statute, 15 Regional Telecommunications Councils were created to deal with regional and local issues concerning educational uses of the Iowa Communications Network.
The RTC appropriation for FY 2016 is listed as a General Fund appropriation to the Iowa Department of Education. The RTC funds provide the coordination of technical assistance for network classrooms, planning and troubleshooting for local area networks, scheduling of video sites and other related support activities.
RTC FY 2016 Budget Accountability - The Regional Support Services Plan submission deadline is September 1, 2015.
RTC FY 2015 Annual Report Form - Submission deadline is July 31, 2015.
RTC Membership, Agendas and Minutes
Each council should submit an electronic agenda notice one week prior to the scheduled meeting. Once submitted, the notices will be posted on the Iowa Department of Education's website which satisfies the state’s open meeting requirements. Councils should then submit the meeting notes/minutes to be posted on the Iowa Department of Education's website within two months after the meeting. Email the agenda and minutes to Angi Hillers at email@example.com.
- Region 1
- Region 2
- Region 3
- Region 4
- Region 5
- Region 6
- Region 7
- There is no Region 8.
- Region 9
- Region 10
- Region 11
- Region 12
- Region 13
- Region 14
- Region 15
- Region 16