Financial Literacy Work Team
On this page...
Final Report of the Financial Literacy Work Team (2014-09-15)
Financial literacy is a topic that is receiving much attention today, both within the educational and business communities. Dr. Brad Buck, Director of the Iowa Department of Education, convened a small group of experts from both groups to help identify resources to support best practice in financial literacy instruction.
The Partnership for 21st Century Skills has developed a unified, collective vision for learning known as the Framework for 21st Century Learning. This Framework describes the skills, knowledge and expertise students must master to succeed in work and life; it is a blend of content knowledge, specific skills, expertise and literacies.
Included in the Framework for 21st Century Learning is Financial, Economic, Business and Entrepreneurial Literacy:
- Knowing how to make appropriate personal economic choices
- Understanding the role of the economy in society
- Using entrepreneurial skills to enhance workplace productivity and career options
While all the components of the Framework for 21st Century Learning are interconnected in the process of educating students to thrive in today’s global economy, Iowa educators and business professionals have expressed an interest in focusing on Financial Literacy. In an effort to ensure Iowa educators have access to the necessary supports – standards, assessment, curriculum and instruction, professional development, and learning environments – to effectively weave the interdisciplinary theme of financial literacy into core subjects, the Iowa Department of Education convened a Finance Literacy Work Team.
Eleven Iowans are serving as members of a work team convened by Dr. Buck to review and make recommendations for a repository of the best resources, tools, and materials associated with finance literacy for Iowa secondary educators and students by
- Examining research, best practices, and expert recommendations associated with finance literacy
- Examining resources, materials, programs, tools, etc. that are currently available
- Collecting the best links, annotated resource lists, materials, etc. and locating them in a web-based repository for Iowa educators.
- Communicating with Iowa educators about accessing the Finance Literacy resources
Meeting Dates, Agendas and Notes
Meeting Time: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Grimes Office Building
400 E14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
January 24, 2014
February 28, 2014
March 28, 2014
April 25, 2014
August 5, 2014
- Nancy Ankeny Hunt, Education Consultant, Iowa Department of Education, Des Moines
- Mike Cormack, Policy Liaison, Iowa Department of Education, Des Moines
- Kelli Diemer, Education Consultant, Iowa Department of Education, Des Moines
- Jim Donoghue, Education Consultant, Iowa Department of Education, Des Moines
- Jeff Ferguson, Social Studies Teacher, Dowling Catholic High School, West Des Moines
- Cynthia Fletcher, Professor of Human Development and Family Studies, Iowa State University, Ames
- Jackie Haley, Membership Services Director, Community Bankers of Iowa, West Des Moines
- Bob Mantell, Financial Literacy Director, TS Bank Institute, Treynor
- Jamie Miller, Executive Director, Iowa Credit Union Foundation, Des Moines
- Pat Thieben, Education Consultant, Iowa Department of Education, Des Moines
- Stefanie Wager, Education Consultant, Iowa Department of Education, Des Moines