Skip to Content

Who is responsible for school transportation for an open enrolled student?


The general rule is that the parent or guardian is responsible for transporting the student to and from the receiving district. It is also possible for parents to transport the child to a point on an existing school bus route of the receiving district. The receiving district may not send its buses into the sending district to transport an open enrolled student unless the boards of both districts agree.

If an open enrolled student’s family qualifies economically for transportation assistance, and if the sending and receiving districts are contiguous, it is the responsibility of the sending district to arrange for transportation assistance if the cost does not exceed the average per pupil cost. The sending district may meet this obligation by a) providing reimbursement to the parent / guardian; b) by providing the transportation directly; c) by contracting with the receiving district or another third party to provide the transportation. The cost of the transportation is deducted from the open enrollment tuition. 

FAQ Category: 

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on April 16, 2014 at 12:15am.