Skip to Content

What is a home school assistance program (HSAP), and is a district required to have such a program?


Districts are not required to have a HSAP. If a district does have such a program, it must provide a properly licensed instructor to provide instruction or instructional supervision of CPI. The instructor is required to have contact with the child and the child's parent/guardian at least 4 times per quarter, half of which contacts must be face-to-face with the child. The instructor is also to advise the parent/guardian about lesson plans, instructional materials, teaching/learning techniques, evaluation of student learning, planning, etc. Iowa Code 281 IAC rules 31.4 and 31.5(5).

REMINDER: Parents, guardians, or legal or actual custodians of children enrolled in a HSAP must also fill out Form A for each child enrolled in the HSAP.

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on March 21, 2018 at 12:12am.