Skip to Content

What happens if the application for open enrollment is denied?


All appeals filed as an original court action in Iowa District Court unless the application for open enrollment claims harassment or if the child has a serious health condition that the resident district cannot adequately address. Appeals should be filed in district court in the county in which the primary business office of the district is located.

The State Board of Education does not hear appeals unless one of the follow claims was made as a basis for good cause.

  • Child has serious health condition (see What constitutes a severe health need?)
  • Child has experienced pervasive harassment (see What constitutes pervasive harassment?)

Appeals related to these two issues may be heard by the Iowa State Board of Education under the procedure in Iowa Code Chapter 290.  All other appeals must go through district court.

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on November 24, 2015 at 4:27pm.