What conditions apply when a district's bus is used for other than transportation of students to and from school or a school-sponsored activity?
These conditions include the following:
- The "school bus" signs shall be covered and the stop arm and flashing warning lights shall be made inoperable.
- Transportation outside the state of Iowa shall not be provided without the approval of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration of the United States Department of Transportation.
- No one shall be permitted to stand. When adults are transported. there is a limit of two adults per (39 inch) seat.
- A chaperon shall accompany each bus to assist passengers in boarding and disembarking. and to provide aid in case of injury or illness.
- The driver shall be approved by the local board, must have a valid license appropriate for the type of vehicle being operated, a commercial driver license (CDL) or chauffeur's license and school bus driver's authorization, and must observe all traffic laws.
Iowa Code -- 321.174(1); 281 Iowa Administrative Code 43.10(5).