Skip to Content

May a district count foreign exchange students in its certified enrollment count?


No. A district may not include any foreign exchange program students in its certified enrollment count. This answer deals exclusively with non-immigrant students; that is, students who are not residents of the United States and who are in this country temporarily. If a student who is not a citizen of the United States nevertheless lives in Iowa with his or her parents, the school district of residence is required to provide a tuition-free education to that student (and the student will be counted for certified enrollment purposes). This is true even if the parents of the student are in this country illegally. See Plyler v. Doe. 457 U.S. 202. 102 S.Ct. 2382. 72 L.Ed.2d 786 (1982).

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on May 25, 2016 at 6:01pm.