Skip to Content

May any child receive CPI?


Generally, yes. The parent. guardian or legal custodian simply completes the Report of Competent Private Instruction (Form A - available from district of residence) and returns it to the resident district by September 15 or within 14 days of commencing CPI.

NOTE: however, if a child has been identified as requiring special education programs or services, prior written approval must be obtained from the special education director of the Area Education Agency in which the child resides before the child may be home schooled or enrolled in a non-accredited nonpublic "school." Iowa Code sections 299.4. 299A.9; 281 IAC rules 31.2. 31.10.

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on May 20, 2018 at 7:27am.