Skip to Content

Can the receiving district make a decision to place a student with an IEP in a special education program in another district?


Yes, if the receiving district’s program is not appropriate. If a placement is made into another district, open enrollment continues with the receiving district contracting with the new placement and billing actual costs to the sending district. If a parent disagrees with the decision to place the child in a placement outside of the receiving district, the parent may use any of the special education dispute resolution options. Special Education Rule 41.504.

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on December 01, 2015 at 3:56am.