Skip to Content

Can a parent demand that the receiving district create an appropriate program for an open-enrolled student with an IEP?


No. A public school district must maintain and have available a continuum of alternate placements (Special Education Rule 41.115); however, the law does not require that the district have all points on the continuum available within district buildings. If the receiving district is not an appropriate placement for the child, the open enrollment request is to be denied.

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on November 30, 2015 at 5:01am.