Are there any exceptions to the March 1 deadline?
Yes. An open enrollment request for a prospective kindergarten student may be filed with the receiving district by September 1 of the school year of enrollment into kindergarten.
In addition, the following circumstances are considered "good cause" and are acceptable conditions for a timeline waiver IF the change occurred / began after March 1.
- Change in family district of residence
- Change in the marital status of the student's parents resulting in a change in resident district
- Placement of the child in foster care resulting in a change of residence
- Participation in a foreign exchange program
- Participation in a substance abuse or mental health treatment program resulting in a change of residence
- Serious health need (see #12)
- Pervasive Harassment (see #11)
- Failure of district negotiations to reorganization or rejection of proposed reorganization plan after March 1
- Failure of district negotiations for whole grade sharing or rejection of whole grade sharing agreement after March 1*
- Loss of accreditation or revocation of a private school or public charter school contract after March 1
*If good cause is related to change in status of child’s resident district, open enrollment request must be filed within 45 days of last board action or 30 days of certification of an election, whichever is applicable.