Skip to Content

Open Enrollment

May a parent / guardian designate a particular attendance center for enrollment within the receiving district?


No. Open enrollment is to another district, not to a specified attendance center. The receiving district has discretion to determine which attendance center an open enrolled student shall attend.

What are the economic eligibility requirements for transportation?


The student is eligible if the household income of the parent / guardian is at or below the federal poverty guidelines for household size.  These guidelines are adjusted annually, and are provided to districts each year.  (Refer to the chart on page 14).

Who is responsible for school transportation for an open enrolled student?


The general rule is that the parent or guardian is responsible for transporting the student to and from the receiving district. It is also possible for parents to transport the child to a point on an existing school bus route of the receiving district.

Must the sending and receiving districts be contiguous to each other?


No. However, transportation assistance is only applicable when open enrollment is to a contiguous receiving district.

May an open enrolled student return to the district of residence?


Yes. A pupil that is open enrolled may return to the district of residence, and enroll, at any time (unless under suspension or expulsion).

Who approves or denies open enrollment requests?


The receiving district has the authority to accept or deny the application unless one of the following conditions exists. If one of the following conditions applies, the resident district has the authority to act on the application.

How does a parent/guardian file for open enrollment?


The parent/guardian must complete an application form that is available in the central office of Iowa school districts. The form is also available via the Department’s web site under Open Enrollment.

What is open enrollment?


It is a cost free option by which parents/guardians residing in an IOWA district may enroll their children into another Iowa school district under the terms and conditions of Iowa Code section 282.18 and the administrative rules of the Iowa Department of Education, 281 Iowa Administrative Code C

Subscribe to RSS - Open Enrollment

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on December 01, 2015 at 7:18pm.