Skip to Content

Eligibility/Qualification Questions

Which district pays tuition for a student that moves during the year and continues under open enrollment?


When a family moves and the choice is to leave the pupil under open enrollment (or to open enroll to another school district), the original district of residence shall be responsible for payment of the cost per pupil for the balance of the school year.

What criteria determine residency for a student?


The residency of a student is determined by physical presence for a primary purpose unrelated to school. The home in which the student is living determines the residence even if the parent / guardian is not living in the same home with the child.  

What are the interscholastic athletic eligibility rules for high school students who open enroll?


In most cases, a high school student who open enrolls is ineligible for varsity athletic competition during the student’s first 90 consecutive school days of enrollment in the receiving district.

Which district’s rules and policies govern an open enrolled student?


Those of the receiving district. The receiving district is also responsible for providing Post Secondary Enrollment Option (PSEO), alternative education, and driver education programs.

May a receiving district suspend or expel a student who is open enrolled into the district?


Yes. The policies and procedures of the receiving district apply to open enrolled students to the same extent as to resident students.

May a student use open enrollment to attend a school district in another state?


No. The open enrollment law in Iowa Code section 282.18 is solely for attendance in Iowa school districts. Clarke Children, 20 D.o.E. App. Dec. 117.

How does a district’s diversity plan impact open enrollment?


Five districts in Iowa have a board adopted plan to keep the balance of students in the district. Each plan specifies the percentage of students that can open enroll in and out of the district determined to balance diversity factors.

At what age is a student eligible for open enrollment?


Regular education students are eligible for grades K – 12, as well as for pre-Kindergarten programs if the student is 5 years of age on or before September 15. Colby Miller, 20 D.o.E. App. Dec.

May a student who receives competent private instruction (CPI) take advantage of open enrollment?


Yes. Parents must complete an application form that is available in the central office of Iowa school districts. The form is also available via the Department’s website.


Subscribe to RSS - Eligibility/Qualification Questions

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on November 28, 2015 at 5:19am.