Skip to Content

Competent Private Instruction

What are the annual assessment requirements?


Every child of compulsory attendance age who receives CPI and who is not working with an Iowa licensed instructor must be assessed annual to make sure that adequate progress is being made.

Who pays for the standardized test?


If the student is dually enrolled, there is no charge. If the student is not dually enrolled, the parent/guardian shall pay the cost of the test. The district or AEA may charge up to $25/hour, plus mileage as administrative costs. The parent/guardian shall not give the test.

Is there a particular curriculum that must be used to provide CPI?


No. the State of Iowa does not have a mandated curriculum for students who receive CPI. The type of curriculum and instructional materials is the decision of the parent/guardian.

What are the other benefits of enrollment in a home school assistance program?


Because a district that has a HSAP is providing a licensed instructor to supervise CPI, a child in a HSAP does not have to be assessed annually to determine whether the child is making adequate educational progress.


Subscribe to RSS - Competent Private Instruction

Printed from the Iowa Department of Education website on March 23, 2018 at 12:02am.