Certification $.06 for Meal Program
On this page...
The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 (HHFKA) requires the additional 6 cents per lunch reimbursement be provided to school food authorities (SFAs) certified by a State agency to be in compliance with the new meal pattern requirements. The additional 6 cents per lunch is intended to assist SFAs in meeting the new meal patterns and becomes available October 1, 2012 to SFAs certified by the State agency to be in compliance. While there is no deadline for submitting certification documentation, all SFAs are required to meet the new meal patterns effective July 1, 2012. The certification process for the 6 cents performance-based reimbursement works as follows:
- SFA submits certification documentation to State agency
- State agency makes a certification determination within 60 days
- State agencies conduct validation reviews of 25 percent of certified SFAs in School Year (SY) 2012-2013
- Certified SFAs must annually attest to ongoing compliance with the meal patterns through SY 2014-2015
- Ongoing compliance with the meal pattern requirements is monitored during administrative reviews (currently known as coordinated review effort (CRE))
Details for submission in Iowa are still in development. The Certification process for Iowa will be emailed to SFAs and posted here when completed.
The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010 went in to effect July 1, 2012. An additional reimbursement of 6 cents per reimbursable lunch is available for school food authorities certified to be in compliance with the new school meal patterns. The interim rule establishes the requirements related to certification and this new performance-based reimbursement. Below is the document of Revised Questions and Answers from the USDA reflect questions they have received and provide additional information on these requirements.
Certification-Getting Started (2012-08-06) - Information about how to prepare for submitting documents for certification.
Submitting Documents for Menu Certification
Menu Certification Submission Instructions - The information in this document will explain how to submit completed menu documents for State Agency approval.
These are links to the USDA required forms.
- Breakfast Menu Worksheet Instructions
- Lunch Menu Worksheet Instructions
- Simplified Nutrient Assessment Instructions
- Instructions for Transferring Data from USDA Certification Tools
- Certification Meal Pattern Requirement Specification
- 4-Day Schedule Certification Worksheets
- 5-Day Schedule Certification Worksheets
- 6-Day Schedule Certification Worksheets
- 7-Day Schedule Certification Worksheets
- Extended Schedule Certification Worksheets