Start planning for National School Lunch Week
To recognize your school meal program, celebrate National School Lunch Week from October 12-16. The federally funded National School Lunch Program has been fueling students for success for more than 70 years. The theme, “Now Playing: School Lunch!” puts the spotlight on the importance of a healthy school lunch in a child’s life.
“School meals offer students a variety of options that meet federal nutrition standards,” said Kala Shipley, chief of the Iowa Department of Education’s Bureau and Nutrition and Health Services. “National School Lunch Week is an opportunity to promote the wonderful benefits of school meal programs and highlight the important role of school nutrition staff.”
Here are some ideas to help your school nutrition team celebrate:
- Feature school nutrition staff on district website and social media channels throughout the week.
- Hold a coloring contest for students, including students learning in person, hybrid or online.
- Decorate the meal distribution area, whether that is the traditional serving line, hallway kiosk or curb-side pick-up.
- Feature menu items with a movie theme (i.e. Premiere Pasta, Movie Night Popcorn Chicken, That’s a Wrap, Hero Hoagie, etc).
- Have a celebrity server! Ideas include the principal, teacher or high school students.
Additional promotional ideas and graphics can be found at the School Nutrition Association website.