Iowa team to develop fine arts standards for schools
DES MOINES – Iowa Department of Education Director Ryan Wise today announced members of a new team that will develop recommended statewide standards in fine arts. The Fine Arts Standards Adoption Team will meet for the first time on Tuesday, Feb. 21.
The team’s mission is to create a series of concepts and skills designed to foster creativity and critical thinking in fine arts, which include visual art, general music, instrumental music, vocal music, theater, dance and media arts.
“Iowa is committed to ensuring our students have access to a quality learning experience in all subjects, and that includes fine arts,” Wise said. “Standards are a key component of high-quality instruction. The development of statewide standards marks a major step forward in further strengthening arts education in Iowa.”
The team was created in response to public support for offering standards that go beyond the mandatory subject areas of English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies and 21st century skills.
The team will seek public feedback and eventually will offer recommended standards to the State Board of Education for consideration. If adopted, the fine arts standards would be optional for school districts.
The Fine Arts Standards Adoption Team will have its first meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 21, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Room B100 (basement level) of the Grimes State Office Building, 400 E. 14th St., in Des Moines.
Learn more about the Fine Arts Standards Adoption Team, whose members are:
- Gretta Berghammer, University of Northern Iowa
- Dan Black, Red Oak Community School District
- Andrea Christians, Pocahontas Area Community School District
- Ellen Craig, Davenport Community School District
- Michelle Droe, Cedar Falls Community School District
- Helen Duranleau-Brennan, Mississippi Bend AEA
- Mike Fisher, Waterloo Community School District
- Leon Kuehner, Iowa Alliance for Arts Education
- Maggie Parks, Marshalltown Community School District
- Joel Pedersen, Cardinal Community School District
- Anne Pisarik, Washington Community School District
- Kevin Price-Brenner, Dubuque Community School District
- Scott Slechta, Fairfield Community School District
- Nate Sletten, Earlham Community School District
- Ronda Sternhagen, Grundy Center Community School District
- Pat Toben, Sioux City Community School District
- Colleen Tomlinson, Rivermont Collegiate
- Kris VerSteegt, Ankeny Community School District
- Matt Walker, Xavier High School
- Valerie Williams, Co'Motion Dance Theater
- Jill Wilson, Luther College
- Yvette Zarod-Hermann, Art Force Iowa
Meeting dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, Feb. 21
- Friday, March 31
- Tuesday, April 18
- Thursday, May 18