Five Iowa schools named National Blue Ribbon Schools
Five Iowa schools have been named National Blue Ribbon Schools for their overall academic excellence or for their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. The schools are:
- Westside Junior-Senior High School, Ar-We-Va Community School District
- Helen A. Hansen Elementary School, Cedar Falls Community School District
- Franklin Elementary School, Le Mars Community School District
- Indian Creek Elementary School, Linn-Mar Community School District
- West Union Elementary School, North Fayette Community School District
U.S. Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. announced the 329 National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2016 today. The U.S. Department of Education will formally recognize 279 public and 50 private schools at an awards ceremony on Nov. 7-8 in Washington, D.C.
“We celebrate Iowa’s Blue Ribbon Schools for their commitment to excellence and for the leadership of the dedicated educators in these school communities,” Iowa Department of Education Director Ryan Wise said. “Iowa can learn important lessons from these schools as our education system works to make sure every student is prepared for success in and beyond school.”
The U.S. Department of Education’s National Blue Ribbon Schools Program honors public and private elementary, middle, and high schools where students achieve very high learning standards or are making notable improvements in closing the achievement gap. Since 1982, fewer than 8,500 schools have received this coveted award.
All schools are recognized in one of two performance categories based on all student scores, subgroup student scores and graduation rates:
- Exemplary High Performing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools as measured by state assessments or nationally normed tests.
- Exemplary Achievement Gap Closing Schools are among their state’s highest performing schools in closing achievement gaps between a school’s subgroups and all students over the past five years.
Read more about the 2016 National Blue Ribbon Schools: http://www2.ed.gov/programs/nclbbrs/index.html