Survey will assess RtI readiness
Are Iowa’s schools ready for Response to Intervention, better known as RtI?
A survey aimed at the entire education system – from elementary schools to districts to Area Education Agencies to the Iowa Department of Education – will determine that through a survey to be released this Friday, April 26.
Participating in the survey is important because it will help identify the first group of schools that will have access to Iowa’s statewide RtI data system, assessments, training, support and coaching in the area of early literacy. Results from the survey will also be made available to schools, districts, and AEAs for their own planning purposes.
The survey is being conducted by the Collaboration For Iowa’s Kids, also known as C4K, which is a partnership between the Department, AEAs, and local school districts.
The survey will focus on determining readiness to support the technology requirements and skill and will to focus on early literacy within an RtI framework.
Iowa is pursuing implementation of RtI statewide. RtI in Iowa is a decision-making framework of evidence-based practices in instruction and assessment that addresses the needs of all students starting in general education.
RtI allows educators to judge the overall health of their educational system by examining data on all students (general and special education) as well as identifying students who need additional supports. Those supports are provided in both small group and individual settings, and measured to determine if these supports are making a difference to ensure all learners demonstrate proficiency in the Iowa Core standards and leave school ready for life.
Many Iowa schools are successfully implementing components of RtI.
Starting with this survey, we will move RtI to consistent statewide implementation in every Iowa classroom.
Based on the results of the readiness survey, schools and districts will be invited to take part in Phase I implementation. Those invited will receive:
- Access, training and support to use Iowa’s RtI Data System;
- Access, training and support to use Iowa’s universal screening and progress monitoring assessments;
- Processes, tools and coaching to support consensus, leadership, resource mapping, collaborative inquiry and Iowa’s early literacy framework within the Iowa Core;
- Professional development, coaching and support to implement solutions based on building need:
- Support to enhance your Core Literacy Instruction (Intended-Enacted-Assessed)
- Assistance in building targeted supports for literacy.
Please mark on your calendar to take the survey, which will be open from Friday, April 26, to May 3.