Director Glass names Iowa students to new state advisory group
Iowa Department of Education Director Jason Glass announced 15 Iowa students who will serve on the Learning Council, a new state advisory group.
Members of the Learning Council will meet with Glass and other Department leaders to discuss key issues that impact Iowa students and schools.
The council will complement efforts by the Branstad-Reynolds administration to get input from various stakeholders across the state on transforming Iowa's education system.
"This group of talented young Iowans will bring a refreshing perspective and thoughtful insight about improving education," Glass said. "Students deserve a voice in the future of their schools."
Students in grades 8-12 from public and nonpublic schools across Iowa were invited in January to apply for a seat on the Learning Council.
Selections took into account the applicants' school experiences, sense of leadership, communication of ideas, and the size and geographic region of their schools.
The Learning Council will be a 10-month commitment that includes meetings in March, May, September and December. Council members also will communicate virtually.
Members of the Learning Council are:
- Hannah Ritchey, eighth grade, Shenandoah Middle School
- EmmaKate Wichman, eighth grade, Pleasant Valley Junior High School in LeClaire
- Grant Gordon, ninth grade, Van Meter High School
- Jack Hostager, 10th grade, Hempstead High School in Dubuque
- Apple Jackson Amos, 10th grade, East High School in Des Moines
- Sophia Babcock, 10th grade, PCM High School in Monroe
- Geoffrey Bruder, 10th grade, Humboldt High School
- Lillian Nellans, 11th grade, Roosevelt High School in Des Moines
- Mohad Aziz Azmat Awan, 11th grade, Waukee High School
- Tom Bowman, 11th grade, Dowling Catholic High School in West Des Moines
- Tessa Horn, 11th grade, Manson Northwest Webster High School in Manson
- Monica Figueroa, 12th grade, Storm Lake High School
- Sara Gabriele, 12th grade, Cedar Falls High School
- Andrew Patience, 12th grade, Thomas Jefferson High School in Cedar Rapids
- Whitney Leming-Salisbury, 12th grade, Central High School in Davenport