For Test Takers
On this page...
IOWA ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO TAKE THE HSED TEST
- Be a minimum of 17 years of age (unless granted exception).
- Enroll at an Adult Education and Literacy program.
- Complete a pre CASAS Assessment in Math and Reading.
- If appropriate, be referred to instruction and class enrollment.
- Pass the Official Practice Test (OPT).
- On testing day, present a valid photo identification, verify social security number if applicable and a Verification for Testing Form.
WHAT ARE THE COST FOR TAKING THE HiSET IN IOWA*
- $50.00** for the full battery of tests (all five content areas) which includes two free re-tests per sub-section during a 12 month period from the initial date of purchase.
- $15.00** for a single subtest (1 content area) which includes two free re-tests per sub-section during a 12 month period from the initial date of purchase.
- $10.00 Diploma Fee (paid at the time you take your final test).
* Prices effective January 2014.
**Does not include voucher fees.
Request for Duplicate Diploma/Transcript or Verification
To request a duplicate diploma/transcript or verification:
- Visit Diploma Sender online, www.diplomasender.com;
- Complete the online order form using a credit, debit, cashier’s check or money order for the $10 payment; and
- Check the appropriate delivery method for receipt of your document, email, FedEX, or regular mail.
The Iowa Department of Education will no longer process duplicate diploma or transcript requests. ALL Iowa HSED requests will be processed through Diploma Sender. NO state agency or community college program can assist in HSED requests.
Below is a list of frequent questions received at the state office. Please review the information provided. If you still have questions, contact the closest program for specific answers or the state office for general information.
What if I tested in a different state?
Did you take your HSED test in another state? Do you want to contact that state’s HSED office for your test results or other HSED-related information? For a complete alphabetical listing of all 50 HSED offices throughout the United States, click here.
Did I pass?
Each of the five subtests in the HiSEST battery is scored on a scal of 1-20. In order to pass you must do all three of the following:
- Achieve a score of at least 8 on each of the five individual subtests
- Score at least 2 oout of 6 on the essay portion of the writing test
- Have a total combines score on all five subtests of at least 45
Some states may set passing scores that are higher, but under no circustances can you pass with a total score lower than 45 on the battery.
Is this test legit?
There are hundreds of websites offering high school diplomas, HSED credentials, and other degrees. What they don’t tell you is the “accredited degree” they’re offering is practically worthless. These sites are looking to make a quick buck at your expense—and they’re charging anywhere from $50 to $500 to do it. Learn more about it here.