For Test Takers
On this page...
IOWA ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS TO TAKE THE HSED TEST
- Be a minimum of 17 years of age (unless granted exception).
- Enroll at an Adult Education and Literacy program.
- Complete a pre CASAS Assessment in Math and Reading.
- If appropriate, be referred to instruction and class enrollment.
- Pass the Official Practice Test (OPT).
- On testing day, present a valid photo identification, verify social security number if applicable and a Verification for Testing Form.
WHAT ARE THE COST FOR TAKING THE HiSET IN IOWA*
- $50.00** for the full battery of tests (all five content areas) which includes two free re-tests per sub-section during a 12 month period from the initial date of purchase.
- $15.00** for a single subtest (1 content area) which includes two free re-tests per sub-section during a 12 month period from the initial date of purchase.
- $10.00 Diploma Fee (paid at the time you take your final test).
* Prices effective January 2014.
**Does not include voucher fees.
Request for Duplicate Diploma/Transcript or Verification
For verification of completion or for a duplicate diploma/transcript of the GED® or HiSET® a request for a must be submitted in writing using the HSED Document Request Form. The request must be signed and dated or a company release needs to accompany it. Please follow the instructions located at the bottom of the request form.
Below is a list of frequent questions received at the state office. Please review the information provided. If you still have questions, contact the closest program for specific answers or the state office for general information.
- What if I tested in a different state?
Did you take your GED®/HSED test in another state? Do you want to contact that state’s GED®/HSED office for your test results or other GED®/HSED-related information? For a complete alphabetical listing of all 50 GED®/HSED offices throughout the United States, click here.Did I pass?
Iowa has set the passing score standard for the battery at the level where 60 percent of graduating high school seniors scored on the test. Currently, the minimum passing score set by Iowa is an average of 450 or higher on each content area test (a total standard score of 2250 or higher). In addition, you have to score at least 410 or higher in each content area. To learn more about what your score means click here.
Is this test legit?
There are hundreds of websites offering high school diplomas, GED®/HSED credentials, and other degrees. What they don’t tell you is the “accredited degree” they’re offering is practically worthless. These sites are looking to make a quick buck at your expense—and they’re charging anywhere from $50 to $500 to do it. Learn more about it here.
Are there any sample questions?
GED® Sample Questions