What criteria will the Department of Education consider for issuing or denying a certified of need?
The Code specified the criteria the Department of Education must consider:
- Enrollment trends in grades that will be served at the new construction site.
- The infeasibility of remodeling, reconstructing, or repairing existing buildings.
- The fire and health safety needs of the school district.
- The distance, convenience, cost of transportation, and accessibility of the new construction site to the students to be served at the new construction site.
- Availability of alternative, less costly, or more effective means of serving the needs of students.
- The financial condition of the district, including the effect of the decline of the budget guarantee and unspent balance.
- Broad and long-term ability of the district to support the facility and the quality of the academic program.
- Cooperation with other educational entities including other school districts, AEAs, community colleges or other postsecondary institutions, and local communities.