The Iowa State Board of Education’s annual retreat will take place on June 27-28 at Des Moines Area Community College in Ankeny.
The retreat agenda is as follows. A copy of the complete agenda with attachments is available on the Iowa Department of Education’s website.
Business meeting – Wednesday, June 27
- Call to Order
- Approve the Agenda
- AEA Budgets – Modified (approval requested)
- Adjourn Business Meeting
Retreat agenda – Wednesday, June 27
10:10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Welcome – Goals of the Retreat, Discussion of State Board Self-Evaluation and Follow-Up – Rosie Hussey
Introductory Comments – Jason Glass
Background Reading for the Retreat:
- How the World’s Most Improved School Systems Keep Getting Better – McKinsey & Company
- Standing on the Shoulders of Giants: An American Agenda for Education Reform – Marc S. Tucker
- High Reliability Organizations in Education – Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning (McREL)
Legislative Update – Mike Cormack, Phil Wise
Update on the Status of the State Board’s Priorities
- Online Learning – Gwen Nagel
- Competency-Based Education – Sandra Dop
- Reducing the Achievement Gap – Michelle Hosp
Emerging Issues/Department Direction and Focus Areas (Re-Visioning) – Jason Glass
State Board Priority-Setting – Facilitated by Circe Stumbo, President of West Wind Education Policy, Inc.
Adjourn for the Day
Social Time and Dinner
Ranallo’s on 3rd
417 SW 3rd Street
Retreat Agenda – Thursday, June 28
Aligning the Focus Areas of the Department, the Priorities of the State Board, and the Strategic Plan – Facilitated by Circe Stumbo
Continued Discussion About Alignment – Facilitated by Circe Stumbo
State Board Meeting Dates for 2013 – Gail Sullivan
Closing Remarks – Rosie Hussey