Chapter 321J.17 of the Code of Iowa explains requirements for persons operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated within the state of Iowa.
Iowa law stipulates that individuals, found to have been operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated - either by failing a sobriety test or refusing to test, must complete a mandated "drinking and driving course that encourages the offender to assess the offender's own drinking and driving behavior in order to select practical alternatives."
If you received an OWI in the state of Iowa, you will need to complete the following before your driver's license can be reinstated. Note that in some cases additional penalties/requirements may be imposed by the court system and/or by the Department of Transportation.
- Complete a substance abuse evaluation and follow any treatment recommendations as stipulated by the evaluator. Need help finding a licensed substance abuse evaluator in Iowa? Online or by calling 515-281-5251
- Successfully complete a state approved drinking driver education program. There are a number of providers that have been approved to provide this program in the state of Iowa. For a searchable listing, click on the Facility Locator link below. General questions regarding the drinking driver program may be directed to 515-281-5251.
- Pay any civil penalties, reinstatement fees, and/or pass any examinations as required by the court system and the Iowa Department of Transportation. For further information regarding your driving record, contact the Iowa Department of Transportation at 800-532-1121.
Use the link above to locate state approved drinking driver education providers and licensed substance abuse treatment/evaluators in Iowa.
The State of Iowa requires that you complete a substance abuse evaluation and a state approved drinking driver education course. If you are not a resident of Iowa, but were charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated in the state of Iowa, you may complete your drinking driver education course and the evaluation outside of Iowa. For help in locating an educational course or a substance abuse evaluator, contact our office at 515-281-5251 during normal business hours. Please be aware that Iowa WILL NOT accept on-line drinking driver education courses.
Upon completion of the drinking driver education course, you will need to complete and return the Out-Of-State OWI Education Completion Form along with a certificate of completion from the educational course.
You will also need to complete and provide a copy of a substance abuse evaluation. The evaluation must clearly state the date of the evaluation, the evaluator's recommendation, the name of the evaluator, and the agency's name and location/telephone number. If the substance abuse evaluation recommended treatment, documentation to show that the treatment was successfully completed must also be submitted.
There is a $25 administrative fee for submitting education from outside of Iowa. You may pay with a cashier's check, money order or with a credit card. Credit card payments can be made online at https://epay.educateiowa.gov/.
Drinking Driver Education
400 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319-0146
If you are having trouble opening forms on this site, you may need to update your version of Adobe Reader. Use this link to obtain a current version of Adobe Reader.
Out-Of-State OWI Education Completion Form - use when submitting education from a state other than Iowa
Out of State Substance Abuse Evaluation Treatment Completion - use to submit substance abuse evaluation/treatment from a state other than Iowa
Residency Statement - an IDOT form to provide proof of residency in an state other than Iowa
Locate a Substance Abuse Professional - for those required to obtain a evaluation from a SAP
Requirements for 12-hour Drinking Driver Course
- you must be approved by the Department of Education to provide the course
- all instructors must be certified to teach the course, and attend a recertification course every 24 months
- all students attending the course must receive their own workbook
- a fee of $115 shall be charged to all participants unless they are deemed indigent, and then the fee may be waived
- agencies must submit a quarterly report and the administrative fees collected to the Department of Education within 30 days following the end of each quarter.
Reporting Documents for Providers
By Phone: 515.281.5251
By Fax: 515.242.5988 (Please indicate OWI in Subject Line)
Iowa Department of Education
Drinking Driver Education
400 East 14th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319